In their article the authors speak about the issue concerned with classification of the lexical structure of the fascinating geographical composition referring to the XIII-th century entitled “Jahan-Name” written as an accompanying treatise to the map whose author is Muhammad ibn Najib Bekran. Particular attention is paid to the language and methods of expression of the author, since these words play a significant role in determination of the vocabulary of the language referring to the end of the XII-th – the beginning of the XIII-th centuries. To sum it up, they come to the conclusion that the study of the vocabulary of the relevant geographical production can enrich the lexical composition of the modern Tajik language. Alongside with the indigenous words the composition also contains borrowed ones, most of which are Arabic. The given words were used already in the XIII-th century and entered the vocabulary of the Tajik language. An interesting peculiarity of the lexical structure of “Jahan-Name” is that most of the incomprehensible words are explained by the author himself by dint of selection of synonyms and notes concerned with the origin of the words, on the whole.
“Jahon-Name”, historical lexicology, onomastics, vocabulary of the Tajik language, indigenous and loanwords, the history of the Persian-Tajik language
1. Bakron, Muhammad ibni Najib. Jahon-Name. Introduction, preparation of the text, indicators and glossary by Firuza Kodirova. – Khujand: Khuroson, 2019. – 193 pp.
2. Bartold V.V. Composition. – V.1. / V.V. Bartold. – M.: Publishing house of Oriental Literature, 1963. – 760 pp.
3. Ghiyosov N.I. Thirty Articles. – Khujand: Light of Enlightenment, 2014. – 300 pp.
4. Kalinin A.V. Vocabulary of Modern Russian Language. – M: Publishing house of Moscow University, 1978. – 232 pp.
5. Kodirova F. Some Considerations Concerned with the Geographical Production Referring to the XIII-th Century / Scientific Notes. - #3, - Khujand: Light of Enlightenment, 2017. – pp. 200-209.
6. Kodirova F. Onomastics of Persian-Tajik Language Referring to the End of the XII-th and the Beginning of the XIII-th Centuries / Denotation of Junior Scholars: Collection of Masters` Articles under Khujand State University named after acad. B. Gafurov. – Khujand: Light of Enlightenment, 2017. – pp. 305 – 313.
7. Kodirova F. Hydronyms and Oykonyms in “Jahon-Name” / Achievements of Junior Scholars (Collection of articles of traditional regional conference devoted to the Constitution of Tajikistan Republic). – Khujand: Ascension, 2018. – pp. 209 – 215.
8. Malikushshuaro B. Stylistics or the History of Persian Prose Evolution. – Dushanbe: Bukhara, 2012. – 570 pp.
9. Ma`sumi N. Selected Works. In two volumes. – V.2. Linguistics. – Dushanbe: Cognition, 1982. – 352 pp.
10. Rozental D.E., Telenkova M.A. Reference Dictionary of Linguistic Terms. – M.: Enlightenment, 1976. – 544 pp.
11. Rastorguyeva V.S., Edelman D.I. Etymological Dictionary of Iranian Languages. – V.1. – M.: Publishing-house of Oriental Literature, 2000. – 327 pp.
12. Tohirova K. Vocabulary of Modern Literary Tajik Language. – Dushanbe, 1967. – 82 pp.
13. The Dictionary of the Tajik Language (the X-th century - up to the beginning of the XX century). In two volumes. V.2. –Moscow: Soviet Encyclopedia, 1969. – 952 pp.