The author of the article expounds a detailed analysis of written sources where Mahram battle is elucidated – the latter is one of the heroic and tragic pages of the history of the Tajik people which took place on August 22, 1875. It is shown how Tajik together with the representatives of other nations of Kokand khanate organized a heroic defence of the fortress. There are adduced N. Korytov`s data running to the effect that the major part of the defenders perished heroically in the field of the battle, only in the vicinities of the fortress in it itself, on the Syr-Darya banks up to five thousand people were killed. It is underscored that in honour of the defenders there was issued the medal of the Russian empire “For the Seizure of Mahram Fortress”; the fact validating the historic importance of this battle. However, up to now the memory of the historically perished defenders of Mahram fortress has not been commemorated yet; the same refers to those ones who stood up for the cities of Khujand and Ura-Tyube (now Istaravshan).
written sources, Mahram battle of August 22, 1875, heroic defence of the fortress, N. Korytov`s information, five thousand perished, medal “For the Seizure of Mahram Fortress”
1. Arnoldi M. Military Actions versus Kokandians in 1875 – 1876 (according to official reports). – SPb, 1876. http://www.vostlit.info/Texts/Dokumenty/M.Asien/XIX/1860-1880/Kokandwar/text1.htm (Date of request: 27.02.2018)
2. Baryshnikov K. From Mahram of Kokand Uyezd // Turkestan Tidings. 1890, #36.
3. Vohidov Sh. The History of Kokand Khanate (the khanate history in originals). – Tashkent, 2012. – 1771 pp. (in Uzbek)
4. Zhunaydullahkhoja, Ishokkhon, Ibrat`d Son. The History of Ferghana. Preparation by Dr. of History, Professor Kh. Bobobekov and M. Hasaniy. – Tashkent: Kamalak, 1991. – pp. 266 – 335. (in Uzbek)
5. The History of the Tajik Nation. V.IV. Late Middle Ages and the New Time (XVIc. – 1917). Under the general editorship of academician R.M. Masov. – Dushanbe, 2010. – 1123 pp.
6. The History of the 4-th Turkestan Linear Battalion for the Period of 1771 – 1882 // Composed by lieutenant V.N. Zaitsev. – Tashkent, 1882. – 210 pp.
7. Korytov N. Self-Invited Pulat-Khan (Historic Note) // Ferghana Oblast Annual. V.1. – New Marghelan: Printing-House of Ferghana Oblast Governance Office. 1902. – pp. 19 – 40.
8. Mushrif, Mirzoolim. – The History of Kokand Khanate. – Tashkent: Publishing-house for literature and art named after Gafur Ghulom. 1995. – 128 pp. (in Uzbek)
9. Petrovsky N. Essays on Kokand Khanate // Bulletin of Europe, 1876. – pp. 733 – 734.
10. Polonsky I. Khiva and Kokand. Armed Forces of Turkistan Khanate. https://topwar.ru/88557-hiva-i-kokand-vooruzhennye-sily-turkestanskih-hanstv.html. (Date of request: 6.03.2018).
11. Serebryannikov A. To the History of Kokand Khanate // Military Collection. 1897, #9. – pp. 5 – 32.
12. Yarmatov K. Returning. – Tashkent: Publishing-house for literature and art named after Gafur Ghulom. 1986. – 233 pp.