The article dwells on the process of short story genre evolution in Persian-Tajik literature. In conformity with scientists` opinion short story as an independent genre appeared in Persian-Tajik literature in the XII-th century. Later on the place of this genre (khikoyat) is fortified in Persian-Tajik literature. Such prosaic productions as «Guliston» by Saadi, «Spring Garden» by Djami, «Badaye-ul-vakaye» by Vosifi, «Navodir-ul-vakoye» by Akhmad Donish contain multitude of short stories.
One can consider that in the course of centuries short stories (khikoyat) served a cause of upbringing of people; each writer possessing his own individual features
short story, khikoyat, evolution of genre, Persian-Tajik prose, stylistic peculiarities, realism
1. Ayni S. Collection of Compositions. V.11. - Dushanbe: State publishing-house of Tajikistan, 1962. – 474 pp.
2. Ayni S. Collection of Compositions. V.13. - Dushanbe: Cognition‚ 1977. -427 рр.
3. Pearls of Prose. In four volumes. V.1. - Dushanbe: Cognition, 1987. – 490 pp.
4. Kaykovus U. Kobusnoma as Anthology of Juvenile Literature. V.3. - Dushanbe: Education, 1982. – 350 pp.
5. Razmju H. Literary Types and its Literary Productions in the Persian Language. The third edition. – Mashhad: Qudsi Razavi publishing-house, 1376. – 203 pp.
6. Salimov N. Origin and Establishment of Prose Genre in Tajik and Persian Literatures ( IX-th – XIII-th centuries). – Khujand: Light of Education, 2002.– 400 pp.
7. Khoja Nizomulmulk. The Book about Politics. Under the editorship of Abbos Iqbol. – Tehran, 1320. – 154 pp.
8. Sharifov Kh. Story. / Encyclopedia of Tajik Literature and Art. In three volumes. V.1. -Dushanbe: The Central Scientific Editorial Board of the Tajik Soviet Encyclopaedia, 1988. –Р. 461.
9. Sharifov Kh. Story. / Encyclopedia of Soviet Tajikistan. In eight volumes. V.8. - Dushanbe: The Central Scientific Editorial Board of the Tajik Soviet Encyclopaedia, 1988. – Р.384
10. Sherozi S. Selected Compositions. – Stalinabad: state publishing-house of Tajikistan, 1956. – 417 pp.