The given article dwells on structural and semantic peculiarities of simile based on belles lettres novels of “Tugral” by Tajik writer Sorbon and “Martin Eden” by American writer Jack London. It is pointed that the stylistic device of simile is one of the main ways of expressing figurativeness. Allomorphic and isomorphic features of simile functioning are established and revealed. The author suggests the classification of structural types of simile that defines the semantic ones, like explicit and implicit.
It is proved that structural types of simile , suggested by author, coincided in researched languages and only some partial differences are observed. In the Tajik language the stylistic device is expressed by more comparative conjunctions than in English.
It is concluded that similes are conveyed not only by a comparative expression but by adverbial clauses of comparison either.
Sorbon’s novel “Tugral”, Jack London’s novel “Martin Eden”, stylistic device of simile, classification of similes, structural types, explicit, implicit
1. Artunova N.D. Language and the world of Man. – M.: “The Language of Russian Culrute”.School.1999. - 896 pp.
2. Kuznetz M. D. Stylistics of the English Language: Lectures for Students. – L.: State publishing-house for educational literature, 1960. – 175 pp.
3. The Explanatory Dictionary of the Tajik Language in 2 volumes, edited by M. Sh. Shukurov, V. A. Kapranov, R. Hoshim, N. A.Masumy. - M.: Soviet Encyclopedia, 1969. – 984 pp.
4. Ulmasova Z. H. Peculiarities of Usage of Proverbs, Sayings and Phraseologisms in Sorbon’s Novels “The Poem about God’s Son” and “Tygral”.- Bulletin of TGUPBP.№4.2014. – 214-222pp.
5. Usmonov K.U. The Stylistics of the English Language and its Comparison with Tajik Language. - Khujand: Light of Enlightenment, 2015- 128 pp.
6. Halikova N. V. The Category of imagery of Belles-Lettres Prosaic text: abstract. Doctoral dissertation in phlology: 10.02.01. - М., 2004. - 44 pp.
7. Shepilova L. V. Introduction to Literary Criticism: a textbook for students of philological faculties.- М.: High School, 1968. - 375 pp.
8. London J. Martin. Translated into Tajik by Holikov U.- Dushanbe: Irfon, 1981. – 408 pp.
9. Sorbon. Collection of Works. V.VI. - Dushanbe: Creation, 2009. – 432 pp.
10. Ulugzade S. Vose. - Dushanbe: Cognition, 1979. - 368 pp.
London J. Martin Eden.–Moscow: Foreign Languages Publishing House, 1953. – 432 p.